Adult protection


Is someone hurting you, or treating you badly?

Are you concerned about someone who may be at risk of harm or neglect?

Call the Adult Protection Phone Line on 01383 602200 or in an emergency call 999.

If you have concerns about a child, call Social Work on 03451 55 15 03 or Police 101.

For more information, download the Adult Protection Leaflet , the Easy Read version, poster or the booklet Harm information for People with Communication Difficulties.

Information in British Sign Language (BSL):



When everyone is having a great time and getting ready to enjoy the Christmas and New Year festivities, for some, this time of year can be particularly tough to cope with.  This is why the Adult Support and Protection Committee are distributing a handy guide to help people cope over the festive period.

The ‘Surviving Christmas and New Year’ booklet contains useful tips and information which anyone in Fife can use when trying to cope with difficult times.  The booklet is another step by the Adult Support and Protection Committee in their continuing effort to raise awareness of support available in the Kingdom and ensure people stay safe and well, now and throughout the rest of the year.

It is downloadable as a booklet, wallet sized, plain text (booklet) and plain text (wallet sized). 

Information for Deaf/Hard of Hearing people

Deaf or hard of hearing people can contact the Police 24 hour SMS number in an emergency. If it is not an emergency – contact Fife Council’s SMS number 07781 480 185  (this service is available 8am-8pm).  Both these SMS services require the user to register. The SMS number will be sent to you upon registration.  Use the  Police SMS Registration Form and Fife Council SMS Registration Form to register.

I need information in an alternative language

Adult Protection information is available in Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, English, English Easy Read, Polish and Urdu.

What will happen when I report harm?

Fife Council Social Work, NHS Fife and Police Scotland P Division work in partnership to keep people safe from harm.  We have a duty to inquire and investigate cases where harm is known or suspected.  Staff work closely with the adult at risk to decide together what action is best.  If appropriate, the family of the adult at risk will also be involved in the decision making.

What does Fife Adult Support & Protection Committee do?

The Adult Support & Protection Committee (ASPC) is a statutory body established under Section 42 of the Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007 (the 2007 Act) within each Council area.  The committee is chaired by an independent convenor who is neither a member nor employee of the Council.

The ASPC’s key functions

  • To keep under review the procedures and practices of the public bodies and office holders relating to the safeguarding of adults at risk;
  • To give information or advice, or make proposals on the exercise of functions which relate to the safeguarding of adults at risk;
  • To make, or assist in, or encourage the making of, arrangements for improving the skills and knowledge of officers or employees who have responsibilities relating to the safeguarding of adults at risk; and

Any other function relating to the safeguarding of adults at risk as the Scottish Ministers may specify.

Who is on the Committee?

Adult Protection Committee Membership

What do Committee members do?

The Easy Read guide Being a member of the APC explains this.




Social Work Enquiries
Tel: 03451 55 15 03 Contact Social Work Enquiries online
Go Top

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.