Celebrate the opening of Fife Cycle Park with us!
Archived news: published on Friday 11 May 2018 by Fife Council
Fife Cycle Park
Youngsters trying out Fife Cycle Park earlier this year
Fife Cycle Park logo
Locals will be given the opportunity to try out Fife Cycle Park on the facility’s opening day, later this month.
As part of a wider programme of community events that is being planned, local people are welcome to come along and cycle the circuit on Wednesday 23 May at a free drop in event running from 3pm until 7pm.
There’s no need to book, you’ll be given a time slot when you arrive. A limited number of bikes and helmets will be available but attendees are encouraged to bring their own!
If you can’t make it on opening day, a follow up community drop-in session will also be running on Thursday 24th May, between 4pm and 8pm.
Convener of Cowdenbeath Area Committee, Cllr Linda Erskine said: "This is a great opportunity for local people to try out this fantastic new facility. As well as putting Lochgelly at the forefront of Scottish cycling, Fife Cycle Park will be very much a community facility that is set to welcome people of all ages and abilities. I urge locals to take advantage of these free community drop-in sessions and help us to celebrate Scotland's first cycle circuit being on our doorstep."
Fife Cycle Park secured funding contributions from sportscotland and the Scottish Government’s Regeneration Capital Grant Fund.
- You don't need to be a pro; Fife Cycle Park is for everyone, regardless of age and ability
- Helmets are a must for accessing the circuit!
- Attendees will be allocated 15 minute slots, depending on availability
- Parking is available on site with additional parking available at Lochgelly High School from 4pm
- Find out more about the new facility at cyclepark.fife.scot
Did you know?
- Fife Cycle Park will open at a special event on 23rd May 2018 and will be Scotland’s first purpose built cycle circuit.
- The circuit is a tarmac road, built to ‘A Road’ standard that allows for a full range of cycling activities to take place in a traffic free environment all year round.
- The total distance of the road is around 1.6km; offering various circuit layout options within this of 1.6km, 1km, 500m and 250m.
- Customers will be able to choose from a variety of circuit configurations with several groups or sessions using the facility at the same time.
- The facility will provide opportunities for all ages and abilities to be physically active on a bike through to top level coaching and training opportunities.
- Fife Cycle Park will attract regional, Scottish and British Championship events.
- The circuit will be open all year round and available for daytime, evening and weekend use.
- The on-site Club House will also be a focal point for wider community activity.
- The overall cost of the project is £2.4m. Fife Council secured grant funding of £300,000 from sportscotland and £300,000 from the Scottish Government Regeneration Capital Grant Fund.