Help for school children and low income families
Archived news: published on Tuesday 05 Jun 2018 by Fife Council
School clothing grant and Free School Meals
Fife Council is encouraging families on low incomes to apply for free school meals and help towards buying school clothing.
The council has automatically re-awarded grants to over 4,000 families and has written to around 3,000 more identified as being eligible, to let them know they can now apply for these grants for the 2018-19 financial year.
Councillor Fay Sinclair, convener – education and children’s services committee, said: “Sadly too many children in Fife are living in poverty and too many families are finding it hard to make ends meet. If you’re entitled to this bit of help, please make sure you apply.
“All P1 - P3 pupils are automatically entitled to free school meals, but you must apply for older children. MyFife cards remove any stigma associated with free school meals for youngsters at secondary school as the smartcards are loaded with credit and no one is paying with cash.
“The earliest payment date for the school clothing grant is 14 June 2018. Don’t forget to apply for this separately if your child automatically gets free school meals because they’re in P1-3.”
Check eligibility and apply online at www.fifedirect.org.uk/schoolbenefits
If you don't have a computer or mobile device with an internet connection, you could use a public access PC at any community library and some local offices. Libraries also run taster sessions to help you with the basics of using a computer if it’s new to you.
If you need help completing the application form, contact the Benefits & Council Tax Team online at www.fifedirect.org.uk/contactrevenues or call 03451 55 11 55.
If you don’t already receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction you will need to provide evidence of your income. To qualify for free school meals and school clothing grant, you must receive one of the following:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
- Child Tax Credit only with annual income below £16,105
- Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit with annual income below £6420
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit including those with a take home of pay of up to £610 per month
- Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with annual income below £16,105 (school clothing grant only)
- Long Term Incapacity Benefit (school clothing grant only)
- Widows Allowance if not in full time employment (school clothing grant only)