Help for school children and low-income families
Published: Tuesday 04 Jun 2019 by Fife Council
Free School Meals and School Clothing Grant applications now open!
FIFE COUNCIL is encouraging families on low incomes to apply for free school meals and help towards buying school clothing.
The council has automatically re-awarded grants to over 4,500 families and has written to around 4,700 more identified as being eligible, to let them know they can now apply for these grants for the 2019-20 financial year.
Councillor Fay Sinclair, convener – education and children’s services committee, said: “Sadly too many children in Fife are living in poverty and too many families are finding it hard to make ends meet. If you’re entitled to this bit of help, please make sure you apply.
" Over 700 pupils will automatically be awarded the £100 school clothing grant, and we’ll be proactively contacting 4,700 more to let them know they may be eligible.
“The earliest payment date for the school clothing grant is 13 June 2019. Don’t forget to apply for this separately if your child automatically gets free school meals because they’re in P1-3.”
To find out if you’re entitled to this help and apply online visit www.fifedirect.org.uk/schoolbenefits
If you don't have a computer or mobile device with an internet connection, you could use a public access PC at any community library and some local offices. Libraries also run taster sessions to help you with the basics of using a computer if it’s new to you.
If you need help completing the application form, contact the Benefits & Council Tax Team online at www.fifedirect.org.uk/contactrevenues or call 03451 55 11 55.
If you don’t already receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction you will need to provide evidence of your income. To qualify for free school meals and school clothing grant, you must receive one of the following:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
- Child Tax Credit only with annual income below £16,105
- Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit with annual income below £6900
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit including those with a take home of pay of up to £610 per month
- Long Term Incapacity Benefit (school clothing grant only)
- Widows Allowance if not in full time employment (school clothing grant only)
- Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit with annual income below £16,105 (school clothing grant only)
If you don’t meet this criteria but your child is in P1-3, they can still receive free school meals. Free school milk will only be given if the above criteria is met.
Tel: 03451 55 11 55 Contact Benefits and Council Tax Enquiries online
By Post: Rothesay House Rothesay Place Glenrothes Fife KY7 5PQ