Give Gaelic a Go
Archived news: published on Wednesday 03 Oct 2018 by Fife Council
Learning Gaelic can be fun for all ages
It's Gaelic Week and Fife Council is encouraging everyone to give Gaelic a go during a special week of events.
Events during Seachdain na Gaidhlig (Oct 5 - 12) are mainly free to attend and have been designed to be accessible to those with no Gaelic at all but still be enjoyable for fluent speakers.
Kirsty Strachan is the council's Gaelic development officer. She commented: "We want to encourage as many people as possible to take part in this week of fun activities around Fife to experience, use and improve your Gaelic. Learning a new language can be great fun for all ages."
Events on offer include:
- Pop up Gaelic Càfe. This is an adult only event where you can enjoy some fine food and entertainment. This is also BYOB. Friday 5th October 2018 at Silverburn Park. The event starts at 7pm and tickets cost £8 from Silverburn Park or the Lomond Centre.
- Gaelic Taster and sing along. Part of the ‘Fun Palaces’ event at Rothes halls this is a language taster session for all the family followed by a sing-a-long with Kirsty and Suzanne. All are welcome, and suitable for those with no Gaelic or beginners. Saturday 6th October 2018 between 1-3pm at Rothes Halls, Glenrothes.
- Shinty. Come along and try the ‘Game of the Gaels’ with Aberdour Shinty Club. Join in four hours of sports coaching in beautiful Aberdour. No previous experience needed. All safety equipment will be provided. Tuesday 9th October 2018
10am—2pm, Silversands, Aberdour. Bring a sports kit, packed lunch and plenty energy! (outdoor trainers if you have them).
- Gaelic Singing Workshop. An introduction to Gaelic singing with Norrie MacIver, lead singer with Skippinish. A great session for beginners, music lovers or those looking to expand their Gaelic. All welcome. Wednesday 10th October, 3-5pm. Booking advised
- Stories at Silverburn. Traditional tales with Glamourie. Scottish stories woven with Gaelic! These tales are not just for the children, gripping tales for older kids and adults too. All welcome. Thursday 11th October, 11am and 1pm
Silverburn Park, Largo Road, Leven
- Srùpag. Coffee, cake and craic. Friday 12th October, 11:30-12:30 followed by a learners' lunch 12:30-13:30
Lomond Centre, Glenrothes
For more information on Seachdain na Gàidhlig or to book a place, email Kirsty.Strachan@fife.gov.uk