Driveway Obstruction

Demand for on-street parking in some areas is high.  This can cause issues with drivers parking across the entrance to private access. We have no power to deal with drivers who block the road or an access. If this is a regular occurrence and prevents access, try the following steps to resolve the issue:

1.      Is it obvious there is an access? Sometimes it is not clear there is a driveway. Changing the colour/design of the posts or gate can make it clearer to drivers.

2.      A simple sign on the boundary can highlight to drivers that access is necessary. These are available from some local and on-line suppliers.

3.      Is it the same vehicle every time? Police Scotland are responsible for addressing issues where an obstruction occurs.  If you are blocked in your driveway,  contact Police Scotland 101 or via their website

4.      Is it a neighbour who always obstructs access? Try speaking to your neighbour to resolve the issue. If this is not successful then Police intervention/mediation may help. There is a mediation service available in Fife through Sacro.

If the above steps fail then we may consider an Access Protection Marking. This consists of a single white line painted along the road in front of an access. This line is not enforceable so we can't take any action against a driver who parks on it.  It can help highlight the presence of a drive and encourage better behaviour.

If you feel that this marking would benefit your situation then you can apply if you meet the following criteria:

  • the access is not obvious to drivers
  • the location has a high parking turnover, e.g. near a school or shops
  • a legal formed access is present, typical in the form of a dropped kerb
  • no parking restrictions are in place which already prohibit parking, e.g. double yellow lines
  • suitable evidence of the access being obstructed is made available  
  • you have already tried steps to resolve the problem before making the application
  • the problem is not related to the opposite side of the road.  It must relate to the access side of the road. (we will not place access protection markings opposite a driveway)


If you wish to apply for an Access Protection Marking, please complete the online application form in the 'do it online' section above.


NOTE: If you already have an access protection marking and you're looking to apply for it to be refreshed, please complete the maintenance form here. This form is for reporting road faults and once you've selected the location you have the option to choose 'markings' for your access protection marking to be refreshed.











Your Enquiry

Please give details below about the nature of your enquiry.

Send enquiry to: Traffic Management

If you want to complain about the services you've received from Fife Council please click here



Your Contact Details

Please provide your preferred contact details so we can reply to your enquiry. Privacy Statement

NOTE: Do Not Alter This Field:

Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.