Our Prevention Service aims to prevent people becoming homeless by providing advice, assistance and support to help you find a realistic solution to your housing problem.
If you are homeless or threatened with homeless – please talk to us. We can arrange an interview to fully discuss your situation and explore the housing options available to you.
You can do this by:
- Calling Housing Information, Advice & Prevention (lines open 8 am-6pm) on 03451 55 00 33
- Visiting your nearest Local Office
Once you contact the Council, you will be given an interview appointment to have your situation assessed by skilled and experienced staff. If you have no accommodation at all, staff will do their best to see you on the same day as you make contact. Otherwise, staff will see you as soon as they can, certainly within 5 working days.
For help or advice out of office hours or on weekends, please call the Homelessness Emergency Number on 0800 028 6231
What we will do
The help we can give you will depend on your circumstances.
- If you are threatened with homelessness we will work with you to try to prevent you having to leave your home.
- If you have nowhere to stay while we look at your circumstances, we can arrange temporary accommodation. Temporary accommodation isn’t free but you could get housing benefit to help if you are on a low income.
- If you have to leave your home or are already homeless we will help you to find a new home. You may be entitled to permanent housing from us or a local housing association.
We work in partnership with other agencies who may also be able to provide advice and assistance to you, depending on your circumstances.
Frontline Fife – Independent housing advice & lay representation in Court for rent arrears.
Fife KeyFund (Trust in Fife) – Rent deposit guarantee scheme in the private rented sector.
Citizens Advice & Rights Fife – Independent housing & benefits advice
Fife Women’s Aid – support for those experiencing domestic abuse
Fife Migrants Forum – Welfare rights, unemployment & housing
Tel: 03451 55 00 33 Contact Housing Information and Advice (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.) online
By Post: New City House 1 Edgar Street Dunfermline Fife KY12 7EP
Homeless Advice and Prevention
Tel: 0800 0286231
By Post: Fife House North Street Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LT