Road and pavement permits

If you need to occupy part of a road, pavement or cycle path, you will have to apply for permission and to do this use the links below to take you to the correct online application form.  

Using our online forms is the quickest and easiest way to apply for permission, however, we have provided you with the link to the paper form under each section.

If you are in any doubt about if which application you should be completing, please contact us using one of the contacts below.

Skip application and extension on a road

  • This application is to request permission to place a builders' skip on a road, footpath and/or a verge. 
  • Cost: £20 per week.


Skip application and extension in a Pay & Display area

  • Cost: £9.60 per day
  • £48 per week and for each bay occupied

Occupying a road

  • To request permission for any of the following reasons which may require you to occupy a road for any period of time.
  • Depositing materials, erecting staging or scaffolding, siting of portable cabin or hut, erecting a hoarding, fencing or siting of handling equipment or use of a cherry picker.
  • Cost: £30.00 for first week then £15.00 each week or part of thereafter.

Execute roadworks under the New Roads and Streetworks Act

  • This application is to request permission for the purpose of placing, maintaining, adjusting or removing apparatus in, or under a road. This includes excavating in or boring under a road.
  • Cost: £108

Vehicle access
 (lower a kerb)

  • To apply for permission to construct a vehicular access crossing over a road, path or verge.
  • To apply for permission to lower a kerb.
  • Cost: £108

Temporary road closure application

  • Transport (Scotland) Act 2005 requires a3 month notice period for all works that effect the road network. As soon as you decide, contact one of the people below prior to completing the form.
  • Cost: no fee payable as you will be invoiced after work is complete.


Switch off a pedestrian crossing or traffic lights application

  • Please read the terms and conditions before completing this application.

Traffic light application

  • Request permission to use a 2 way portable light signals and request confirmation that specific site approval is not required.
  • Apply for portable light signal site approval.
  • Request a portable light signal design and approval.
  • To switch off a fixed pedestrian/pelican/zebra crossing please contact the appropriate area office below.

Holding an event on a road

  • To request permission to hold a parade or procession
  • Erect a stall for charity
  • Holding a street event
  • Community Council event
  • Holding a road race


If you require to apply for dispensation to park/load or unload on an area with traffic restrictions, please use the contact details provided on the Parking Dispensations page.  



Kevin Smith, Lead Professional, Roads Network Management (North Fife) 
Tel: 03451 55 55 55 + Ext 45 33 60 Contact Kevin Smith online
By Post: Fife Council Combined Services Depot Cupar Trading Estate Cupar Fife KY15 4SX

Maggie Baird, Technician Engineer, Roads Network Management (Mid-Fife) 
Tel: 03451 55 55 55 + Ext 49 36 92 Contact Maggie Baird online
By Post: Fife Council Bankhead Central Bankhead Park Glenrothes Fife KY7 6GH

Julie Carnell, Technician Engineer, Roads Management (South) 
Tel: 03451 55 55 55 + Ext 48 01 17 Fax: 01382 312072 Contact Julie Carnell online
By Post: Milesmark Roads Depot Carnock Road Dunfermline Fife KY12 9AX
Go Top

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.