Lock Ups / Garage Sites

Lock Up applications are only accepted online - Apply online here.

Lock Ups

Lock Ups are fixed existing structures, constructed of concrete panels, on designated sites. Lock-ups cost £17.22 a fortnight (this charge is subject to VAT if the tenant of the lock up does not rent their home from Fife Council).

Garage Sites

A garage site is where you lease the land on a designated site (approx. £50 per annum) and you place your own timber garage to our specification on your designated plot.

If you decide you no longer wish to rent the garage site, you will need to remove the garage and return the land to us in the condition you received it. If you do not, you will be re-charged the cost of this.

Lock Up qualifying conditions:

  • Applications will not be considered for a lock up or garage site if you have any outstanding accounts with Fife Council (for example rent, council tax etc).
  • Applications will not be considered if you are under sixteen years of age.
  • You are not permitted to carry out any business or trade of any description in or from the lock up or garage site.
  • You are not permitted to store petrol, oil or any other flammable or explosive material in or around the lock up or garage site.


Lock-Up FAQs

Please click on the question to reveal the answer:

Q. Can I apply for a lock up if I owe money to Fife Council ie Rent or Council Tax?

A. No we will not accept an application even if you have an agreement in place. You will need to clear all outstanding monies before you apply. 

Council Tax enquiries; 03451 551155

Rent Enquiries; 03451 550044

Q. If I have lock up arrears can I make an arrangement to pay it back over a few months?

A. No, we do not allow arrears to build up on lock ups. If you are unable to pay, we cancel the tenancy and reallocate the lock up.

Q. What is the availability of lock ups in an area?

A. Refer to our GIS Map.

If there are no available Lock Ups in the area you are looking for, you will be added to the waiting list for that area.

Q. Can I choose a specific lock up?

A. Specific lock ups can be requested, please check our map for an indication of where lock ups are. Refer to our GIS map here.

Q. What are the Lock Up Specifications?

A. As the lock ups can differ in size, customers can take keys to inspect lock ups for suitability prior to accepting an offer.

Q. What can be stored in a lock up?

A. Lock ups can be used for one private car and/ or for storage only and for no other purpose. You are not permitted to carry out any business or trade of any kind.

Q. When and how do I pay?

A. One month’s rent when signing up, then monthly by Direct Debit ensuring that your rent is paid two weeks in advance.

Q. Can I rent a lock up if I don’t live in the area?

A. Yes, subject to availability.

Q. Can I buy my lock up?

A. No. At present Fife Council are not selling any lock ups

Q. Can I transfer to a lock up closer to me once I have been allocated a lock up?

A. Yes, you would have to complete an application to transfer.

Q. Can I have a second lock up?

A. Yes, subject to availability in the area of choice.

Q. Is the lock up insured through Fife Council?

A. No.  You would need to check your car insurance policy. If you are storing goods it unlikely that it will be insured through your house contents as it is not part of your house boundary. 

Q. Can I change the locks on my lock up?

A. You can fit a new padlock to the lock-up but you must not damage the door.

Q. Can I alter my lock up?

A. No alterations are permitted

Q. Can I succeed to a lock up?

A. As lock ups are not secure tenancies we currently would allow a member of the household to take over the tenancy, provided they do not have any arrears. We would only allow extended family or neighbours to take it over if they follow the correct process of applying and there is no waiting list for this area.

Q. What notice is required to terminate my lock up?

A. If you no longer wish to rent your lock up, you must provide us with two weeks written notice and remove all your belongings before returning the keys to us. If you do not, you will be re-charged the cost of this. The Termination Notice document can be downloaded here of from the publications sections at the bottom of this page.

Q. How do I report a repair?

A. You must call Faults and Repairs on 03451 550011 (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm).



Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.