This section will help you find the right information and contact details to deal with your tree enquiry.

  • If you have a query about a tree within a public area it is likely to be in the ownership of Fife Council. Please contact Housing & Community Services on 03451 55 11 66 and select option 3.
  • If your query relates to a privately owned tree please refer to the advice below.  
  • The Council does not provide a service for privately owned trees that are not protected.


Are you planning to carry out works to a protected tree?

If you are planning to carry out work you must first consider whether the tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order, within a Conservation Area or covered by planning conditions.

Link to map of protected trees A Tree Preservation Order protects trees and woodland, safeguarding their removal or destruction. It is an offence to carry out work to such trees without the consent of the Council.

 Link to protected trees mapTrees within Conservation Areas are also protected by law. Prior to any work you must notify the Council.

Planning Conditions are also used to protect trees, when granting planning permission for development.

To see if there is a planning condition relating to trees for a development please visit our online planning site

If any of the above apply then you must apply for consent for any tree work.

How to make an application

Apply for Consent


You are encouraged to obtain a tree report and submit this with your application. The tree report should be obtained from a suitably qualified tree surgeon or tree consultant.

Healthy trees (i.e. those which are not dead, dying or dangerous) that are less than 7.5cm in diameter measured 1.5m above the ground do not require an application. The Council requires no less than 6 weeks' notice before you plan to start tree works.
Emergency Work to Protected Trees
If the trees you would like to fell are dead, dying or dangerous, 5 days' notice should be given to the Council. If it is an emergency you do not have to apply, but it is essential to collect evidence in the form of photographs of the trees, and a tree surgeon's report to be submitted to the Council no later than 5 days after the removal of the danger. Replanting of the felled trees will normally be required.
Please submit your information by email to or by post to: Emergency Tree Work, Fife Council, Kingdom House, Kingdom Avenue, Glenrothes, KY7 5LY.
Trees and Development
If your property was built since the mid 1970s the trees within your property may also be protected by Planning Conditions. These conditions may state that you will need Local Authority Consent to lop, top or fell trees within the development. If the relevant condition applies you will have to make a written request and apply to undertake the work. 
If you are considering a Development close to trees, please read our publication "Trees and Development - Planning Customer Guidelines"  
Applying for a Tree Preservation Order
If you wish to apply for a Tree Preservation Order then please see ‘Protected Trees - FAQ’s’ page for what types of tree can be protected and how the order is made.
Please submit your information by email to or post information to: Development Management, Fife Council, Kingdom House, Kingdom Avenue, Glenrothes, KY7 5LY.



Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.