Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements
The protection of children, vulnerable adults and other members of the public is paramount.
Multi-Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA) are in place to provide a co-ordinated approach to the management of sex offenders within the Community.
MAPPA handles offenders who are subject to sex offender notification requirements, as set out in Section 10 (1) (a – e) of the Management of Offenders etc (Scotland) Act 2005.
In Fife, the authorities responsible for MAPPA are Fife Council, PoliceScotland - Fife Division, NHS Fife and the Scottish Prison Service. By law, these organisations have to work together, sharing information to manage known offenders.
Many agencies also have the duty to co-operate in MAPPA, including:
- Scottish Children's Reported Association (SCRA)
- Scottish Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders (SACRO)
- Housing providers, other businesses and agencies as required
The Multi Agency Public Protection Panel assesses the level of risk an offender poses. It formulates risk management strategies and plans aimed at reducing the risks posed to potential victims. The findings form a risk management plan which aims to manage the offender and reduce the risk of them committing further offences. This plan can include:
- police visits and interviews
- regular multi-agency meetings to share information and attempt to reduce the risk of harm
- ongoing reviews of the level of risk each offender poses
- active monitoring of high-risk offenders
- offence-focussed groupwork programmes aimed at reducing the risk of re-offending
- requesting that offenders are recalled to prison for breaching the conditions of their release licence
- monitoring of offenders within their accommodation
- management of information sharing and applications for disclosure where appropriate
- requesting more conditions/restrictions to court orders or release licences
- referring people who may be at risk and requesting that appropriate protection measures are in place
For more information on MAPPA in Fife, download a copy of the MAPPA Annual Report from the publication section on this page.
The Scottish Government have MAPPA annual reports and statistics for Scotland online.
For more information on the use of MAPPA across the Forth Valley area visit Fife and Forth Valley Community Justice Authority.
Tel: 03451 55 55 55 + Ext 47 28 48 Fax: 01592 583198 Contact Barrie Ivison online
By Post: Town House 2 Wemyssfield Kirkcaldy Fife KY1 1XW