Council Tax for the Armed Forces

You can tell us that you have moved into Fife online by completing the Change of Address form.

Service personnel who own or rent a property are liable to pay Council Tax on their homes.  If their main residence is determined to be the dwelling closer to their job, a 50% job related dwelling discount may be awarded. 

A job-related dwelling is defined as one provided to a person or her/his spouse because of her/his employment and which:

  • Is necessary in order to do the job properly
  • Has been provided in order for her/him to perform her/his duties better and where it is customary for employers to provide accommodation to employees;
  • S/he lives in it as part of special security arrangements

You can apply for a job related dwelling discount online by completing the Sole or Main Residence form.

Those living in Ministry of Defence accommodation are liable to pay contributions in lieu of Council Tax.

Deployed overseas

If someone in your household has been deployed overseas then unfortunately, no council tax discount is granted.

However, all armed forces personnel deployed on operations overseas, who normally pay council tax, will now benefit from a tax-free payment on the cost of council tax paid directly by the Ministry of Defence.  Please visit for more information.

Moving out of Fife

You can tell us you are moving out of Fife online by completing the Change of Address Form (link to the right).

Council Tax Bands and Charges

You can find out the council tax band and charge of any property in Fife by entering the postcode into the council tax checker below.

Council Tax Checker

Find Council Tax Banding for

view all bandings

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience here. If you do not want us to use cookies you can change your settings at any time.