Tree Management


This section will help you find the right information and contact details to deal with your tree enquiry. 
If you are planning on carrying out tree work then first consider who owns the tree, and whether it is protected by a Tree Preservation Order or is within a Conservation Area.
Who owns the tree?
If you have a query about a Tree within a public area it is likely to be in the ownership of Fife Council. Please contact Housing & Community Services on 03451 55 11 66 for further advice. 
If your query is concerning a Tree within private property then please see ‘Protected Trees - FAQs’ page for further information.  The Council does not provide a service for privately owned trees.  
Is the tree protected?
A Tree Preservation Order protects trees and woodland and safeguards their removal or destruction. It is an offence to carry out work to such trees without the consent of the Council first. You can check if your tree or property has a Tree Preservation Order by using the interactive map on our Tree Preservation Orders page. 
Trees within a Conservation Area are also protected by law, and prior to carrying out any tree work you must make an application to the Council. If you are unsure whether your tree is within a Conservation Area please check the interactive map (link) and look for the blue hatched areas. Healthy trees (i.e. those which are not dead, dying or dangerous) that are less than 7.5cm in diameter measured 1.5m above the ground do not require an application. The Council requires no less than 6 weeks' notice before you plan to start tree works. 
How to make an application
If your tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order or meets the above criteria within a Conservation Area then you must make an application before carrying out any work (form and guidance notes at bottom of page).  You are encouraged to obtain a tree report and submit this with your application and this can be obtained from a suitably qualified tree surgeon or Tree Consultant. 
The completed forms must be emailed to If you do not have internet access, then please visit your Local Office and ask for a form to be printed.  Completed forms must be posted to:  Fife Council Development Management, Kingdom House, Kingdom Avenue, Glenrothes, KY7 5LY.
Emergency Work to Protected Trees
If the trees you would like to fell are dead, dying or dangerous, 5 days' notice should be given to the Council. If it is an emergency you do not have to apply, but it is essential to collect evidence in the form of photographs of the trees, and a tree surgeon's report to be submitted to the Council no later than 5 days after the removal of the danger. Replanting of the felled trees will normally be required. 
Please submit your information by email to or by post to: Emergency Tree Work, Fife Council, Kingdom House, Kingdom Avenue, Glenrothes, KY7 5LY. 
Trees and Development 
If your property was built since the mid 1970s the trees within your property may also be protected by Planning Conditions. These conditions may state that you will need Local Authority Consent to lop, top or fell trees within the development. If the relevant condition applies you will have to make a written request and apply to undertake the work. For advice and information please call 03451 55 11 22 requesting to speak to a Development Management Officer or email
If you are considering a Development close to trees, please read our publication "Trees and Development - Planning Customer Guidelines" here (link to useful guides). 
Applying for a Tree Preservation Order
If you wish to apply for a Tree Preservation Order then please see ‘Protected Trees - FAQ’s’ page for what types of tree can be protected and how the order is made.
Please submit your information by email to or post information to: TPO Application, Fife Council, Kingdom House, Kingdom Avenue, Glenrothes, KY7 5LY. 

Central Area Building Standards and Safety
Tel: (01592) 583350 Contact Central Area Building Standards and Safety online
By Post: Forth House Abbotshall Road Kirkcaldy Fife KY1 1RU

Tree Protection
Tel: 03451 55 11 22 Contact Tree Protection online
By Post: Kingdom House Kingdom Avenue Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LY

Parks, Streets & Open Spaces
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.