Twin & Partner Towns
The first recorded local landowner, in the 12th Century, was Michael of Methil, a descendant of MacDuff, Earl of Fife and an ancestor of the present Wemyss family. The original settlement of Methil was thought to have been located, not on the coast of the Firth of Forth, but inland in the vicinity of the present Methilhill Cemetery. Corn and cloth mills had been established nearby by 1542. Once established on the coast a stone harbour was built in 1664 to export coal and salt, produce of the two main industries of coal mining and salt panning.
Methil Docks was developed between 1887, when number 1 dock was built, and 1913 when number 3 dock was completed. The docks thrived and after the first world war Methil became Scotland's chief coal port exporting over 3 million tons annually by 1923.
Methil is on the Fife Coastal Path and it is a short walk to Wemyss Caves and Largo Bay. Amongst other local attractions is the beach and golf courses in Leven and Lundin Links and East Fife F.C., the only Second Division side ever to have won the Scottish F.A.Cup, play at New Bayview Park, Methil. The East Neuk of Fife with its many tourist attractions, including The Old Course St. Andrews, The Secret Bunker and Fisheries Museum, Anstruther, is a short drive away along the coast.